Saturday, May 9

Unexpected Trip: Day 1

Well, we had some sad news the other day - my grandmother (my dad's mom) passed away. She had been sick for awhile and we kind of knew that she would die soon. Even with that said, it was a sad sad day for us all.

So we hopped on a plane and flew to St. Louis to be with our family and celebrate my Grandma's life.

My cousin Jill picked us up from the airport (thanks!), and we got to meet her new daughter D., who was born in December.



D. such a great baby!



Gina with her niece

After a quick change of clothes and enjoying the birds on the great Midwest (gotta love the robins), we headed out to the wake at the funeral home. Darin hadn't ever been to a wake before - a blessing I would say - and we talked to family and friends. And looked at some incredible pictures of my Grandma Vera and us as kids. Too cute. My Grandma looked beautiful and at peace.



The group:
(back) Dru, Darin, Del, Mom, Dad, Aunt Helen (Dad's sister),
Uncle Dave (Helen's husband), and Luke (Jill's husband)
(front) Gina, Aunt Carol (Dad's sister), Jill, Toni, and Uncle Sam(Carol's husband)



The Giants.

***

After the wake, we all went out to dinner at this wonderful brewery in St. Charles called Trailhead Brewery. It was a great time and we watched the Cardinals game and drank some beer. My father and I both got the sampler... I had to beat him and drink it faster.



Ahh, beer. They were all quite good.



Aunt Helen and I



My cousins - Sisters: Jill, Gina, and Toni

After a great dinner, we head off to get some sleep. It was a long day.

2 comments:

care said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope you and your family are doing okay and I'm so glad you got to spend some more time together, even if it was for a sad reason.

also? I LOVE it that your family enjoys good food. reading your posts always makes me hungry.

The Writer said...

Thanks Carrie!

I talk about food a lot at work too and my friend Janice always wants to get the food as well...