Thursday, May 6

South Cali - Friday

It's always interesting how trips happen. I wanted to go to California to see my friend Melissa because she and her husband had a baby in December, and I had to go see baby K. Darin was not super interested in going because of school and other priorities (we'll get to Cali sooner enough), and I was talking to my sister about it and she said that she would go. Great idea! When we were looking at dates (Melissa and Kyle were super busy in February), we realized we could push things back and surprise my Mom with a birthday trip!

We got her tickets first. It was pretty funny because for a couple days my Mom was going to San Diego all by herself. Then Dru got her tickets, and then I got mine to match theirs as much as possible.

We waited a bit before telling my Mom because it was a surprise! My Dad, sister, and I got her good! Woo hoo!

After telling her (I think it was around mid-March), we then had to wait for a bit before the trip. Long wait, I tell you.

Then I planned our trip to Tulsa - got a bit busy there, but everything worked out fine. I don't really need that much sleep and Jake had a place to stay.

***

On Thursday I flew in to San Diego through Denver. Not a good experience. Ended up landing in Colorado Springs instead of Denver because of weather, and then the airlines completely changed our plane's plans and we were all SOL. They said it was 'weather'. I say it was 'greed'. Ended up getting in at 10:45 pm instead of 4:45 pm. Nice. Watched a movie at the airport, so things turned out alright. (Still a bit bitter.)

BUT Dru and Mom got in fine! Phew! They went to the hotel, had dinner, and picked me up at the airport. We went back to the hotel and slept.

***

Friday morning I woke up with my Mom ( 7 am) and we went outside, read our books, and enjoyed the view.



Our place! Right on the bay. (Mission Bay).



View of bridge.



With giant flower!

Dru (finally) got up, we went searching for coffee (ha!), went to Starbucks and Einstein Brothers for breakfast, went back to the hotel and sat by the pool.

Tough. Life.

After that, we decided to check out the beach near where we were staying - just south of Pacific Beach. Parked the car and walked the beach. The beaches of California were so different than in Florida. You don't really realize it until you go to both in the same week. There were so many more people around walking, sunbathing, surfing. It's incredible.







On Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach, CA





Chocolate covered key lime pie and ice cream.
Num.

After awhile there exploring (and eating), we ended up going back to the hotel for a bit and then to dinner in Old Town. I really wanted to go there to get a present for my friend Suzanne's birthday the next weekend (blog to come), as well as going there to drink margaritas. We had the best happy hour ever - spent like $30. Nice.



San Diego flowers





L.U.S.H.E.S.



They were $3.00

We walked around and found this fun candle shop where Dru got to be creative.



Naked unicorn.



Beautiful unicorn!

And then we went back to the beach trying to find a sunset, but the clouds were in the way. Went 'home' and slept! Not a bad day.

2 comments:

care said...

oh, del, the look on your mom's face when she's drinking the margarita? the one where the straw is in her mouth?

I have seen YOU make that exactly face many, many times. And your eyes sparkle in the same way when you do it.

pretty awesome.

and I love love LOVE La Jolla. That place restored my faith in humanity. no joke.

looks like you had a great time!

The Writer said...

@ care - yes, yes. we do a many things a like. scary, actually!