Wednesday, August 4

Trial: Wind Surfing

Our friend Kucku is of the adventurous sort.

I'm not sure how she became this way - maybe it's in her genes? But it's fun to have a friend to get you to try new things; go on new adventures.

She invited Darin and I to join her Adventure Club for a trip to St. Augustine to go wind surfing. This was something we never tried before, but I thought it sounded fun (compared to going up on a hot air balloon which I'm not sure Darin would do) and signed us up!

***

We headed up to St. Augustine's beach - Anastasia Park - a couple of weeks ago. It ended up being a beautiful day especially since we were supposed to get rain from a tropical storm. Got there before noon, took a class, and experimented.

Kucku and I took lots of pictures. My camera was dead (need to get a new one!) so I had to rely on her for her shots (she's a pretty snazzy photographer). And there were some great ones!

***

Darin was the first in the group (12 of us) to go. He made it look easy. Another guy went after him, had a harder time, and we all sort of felt better.

Basically, you climbed up the surf board (which was floating on the water), balance, and pull up the sail. Pretty simple concept. Balance was the key.

We all tried. It was very tiring. It was very fun.

Enjoy the pics:

And yes, you can thank my father for my monster legs. Thanks Dad. And yes I have bright red sunglasses on. I didn't care if I lost them. (I didn't.) And yes, there was like one picture of Kucku. How did this happen you ask? It's because she's sneaky (and we forgot to take pics of her).



The lagoon? Salt water lake area.



Resting!



Darin learning. That's him on the board.



He's out!



And back up again...



My turn.





Attractive, I know.



Kucku's turn.





Darin tries again. With a hat on.

Basically people tried all morning and got tired. Darin ended up taking a long board out to the other side of the pond/marsh. Kucku and I kayaked for a bit. I tried again and was pretty much getting the hang of it. Went down and back twice, tried again the third time, couldn't get back, and had to walk back in the water. Exhausting. But fun.

Definitely something we'll try again. That and seeing if Jake's a kayaking dog. I have a feeling he might be.

Thanks Kucku for the invite! And way to go adventurers!

No comments: