Sunday, November 16

National Recycling Day

I guess today (Saturday) was National Recycling Day - or at least we celebrated it today in Orlando. (And many others did as well.) Side note: as I read more about this, I think it might just be an Orange County Celebratory Day. But whatever.

Darin and I went because we were interested in how the country recycles, and I had never been to the landfills.

What else was there to do on a Saturday? Come on.



It says rubbish. Joy.

Did you know... I can't think of anything really. I have to say it's very impressive though - this whole trash/recycling concept. Seems like a good business to get into. Just my opinion.

Anyway, onto the festivities...

This was the cardboard crusher/maker-into-cardboard-cube thing.



Cardboard!

The best part was the landfill tour. And no, we didn't have to walk around - though I definitely would have. So cool! We took a bus ride around the 1500 acres (wow!) that were currently being used. I think there were like 5 current landfills (with different grades that the guide guy kept talking about) and lot of room to grow. He said they make $33000 per month from the methane gas they sell to the power plant! Crazy!

They had birds everywhere. We saw bald eagles and turkeys. I would have been impressed to see some of the deer they have - but they sensed the hunter in Darin and hid. (kidding)



Here's a landfill they just closed/topped off.
(We drove up there - one of the highest points in Orlando. Like 160 feet?)



The view from up top!
It's a hill!

It was fun. Or at least I had fun.



Darin being patient

We got free hot dogs, got a cool tour, and got our new recycling bin (our third). We recycle a lot - can't figure out why we always have so much. Probably because Darin is addicted to Diet Coke and drinks like 4 a day. Bad Darin. Or Kerry too for the matter. Bad Kerry.

Go recycle. Yo.

1 comment:

care said...

that sounds pretty awesome, wish I could have gone with you!!