Monday, November 16

Can I get you some cheese with your wine? Epcot 2009

One of the funnest things to do around Orlando in October and November was going to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. And thought it was expensive, it helped to think in advance and get free tickets.

* Note, our thinking in advance was to volunteer for the Disney Marathon in January of this year. And we'll be doing it again in two months time to get some more free tickets!

When I told Margie and Bob that we were going to go, they got jealous and decided to drive down and join us. (It might also have had something to do with my parents being in this time-zone...)

What a great day!

Started off getting there a little after lunch so we could pace ourselves and not get too tired - was a gorgeous day. Sunshine galore!



Windy Tram ride!
Margie and Mom



We're here!

Ended up getting Fast Passes to Soarin' because it was already packed - not a big deal - and went on all the smaller/not-so-exciting rides. My parents hadn't been to Epcot for a long time - I think I was six or so.



Beautiful day.



Waiting in line.
Mom, Margie, Bob, Darin, and Dad.



Finding Nemo ride.

After exploring the ride-side of Epcot, we decided to open our wallets and start eating! I mean, why else go to a Food and Wine Festival?

Here was the menu. I feel like I should write down all we ate, but won't. It was slightly embarrassing - though I will/would do it again. I have no shame.

Here we stopped in Mexico to get margaritas - more substantial drinks (compared to wine).





They're lushes.
(Mind you I've probably had three glasses of wine by now).

Then off to Norway where we didn't go on my favorite ride (so sad) because we had drinks. It was a kind of easy decision.



Next was Germany. Man do I love Germany.





Darin, Bob, and Dad with a pretzel.



Mom and her cupcake. It was quite delicious.

Every year (including last year) I have gone to this, my good friend Carrie makes me get the wine flight in Germany. And though she wasn't there this year with us (and couldn't be drinking anyway because she's 100% pregnant), I had to stop and persuade my Mom and Dad to try some wine.





Being drunk.



How cute was this?

And from there we wondered around eating merrily and drinking. The boys got some beer, I stuck with wine, and Margie had her iced tea. We were all happy. We watched the show at each of the counties and tried to not lose anybody! Success.

Here was what the little countries looked like (compared to the actual countries that were always at Epcot, that was.)





South Africa - getting wine.

And we went to Italy (I had cannelloni).



Dad was excited about Snow White. We could have waited in line to get their picture together but decided it was probably not a good idea.



And then it was time to go on Soarin'. A great ride all together. We got on a boat and headed back to where we started!



Waiting for the boat.



Hurray for sitting - boat ride!



Sunset from boat. Once again, beautiful.

Did that and then came around the other side of the park - started in Canada (and had cheese soup - one of the best things served.)



Dad, Darin, and Del.



Bob, Mom, and Margie.

We were getting kind of tired (though not less hungry, I might add). Just walked around more to explore the other countries we had missed.

On the way to England.



Dad, Del, Margie, and Mother.



Listening to the Beatles.



Crazy dancer.

Ireland - the hot ticket item. Their Lobster & Scallop Fisherman's Pie was voted the best dish this year. Had to try it!



Using a trash can as a table. We're creative.

And that was that! We found a spot to watch the fireworks, lost Bob for a bit, found him again, and enjoyed the last part of our day. We were well fed and full, tired but not too tired, and happy all around.

Can't wait for next year!

P.S. My favorite was from Australia: Grilled Lamp Chop with Red Wine Sauce and Murray River Sea Salt.

No comments: