Friday, March 26

FIRST Competition

In case people didn't know, I was involved in robotics in college - we started the first ever women's robotics team at my school and at this event. It was pretty important to me my last year of school, and I really got excited about building metal things (compared to wooden ones) and working with others.

In graduate school, I became a mentor for Team #281 in FIRST - a robotics competition for high school students. I really had a great time working with the crazy high schoolers (yak) and participating in FIRST. It's a great organization for students interested in building/engineering/programing robots. And it's fun.

But it was a huge time commitment. Huge. During the season, I'd drive up to Greenville (like 45 minutes) every day after school to help machine the robot. Every night for like two weeks. Overall, I loved the experience, but ended up not joining a team here in Florida. Though the whole thing basically started here...

Anyway, five years ago I started volunteering for the Regional here in Orlando. Not only do I get to experience this great event, but I have also met some fantastic friends.



Fantastic ones!

So this year I helped again - as my evil role as Lead Querer (getting the robots in order and ready to go on the field).

I'm evil. I'm efficient. Some of the kids like me, others not so much. Oops. But I am fair, and I feel that I lead a good example to these kids by being strict, but friendly. Ha.

This event allows for my evilness to come out for a weekend. It works out well for everyone involved.

Anyway. Here are some photos.





The field.



Maggi and Steve (her Dad)

The event was on March 11th-13th. For some, ahh, reason I missed it last year. And my wonderful husband let me go this year instead of a fun, relaxing cruise we were thinking about going on.

I enjoy myself every year and look forward to the next. The people who volunteer were amazing as ever, and I couldn't have been more evil.

No comments: