Friday, September 11

Pumpkin/Sweet Potato Cheesecake Bars

Tried a new recipe that my mother sent me ages ago. I like to bring in birthday treats for my coworkers - it's my thing.

It was Gabby's 24th birthday by the way. She really likes the pumpkin spice lattes at St@rbucks, so she got pumpkin cheesecake bars. She got to choose.



Gabby and I at the 2008 Christmas Party
(she's a blond now)

Anyways, here's the recipe my mother gave me:

Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars

1 c finely crushed cookie crumbs

2 T sugar

2 T melted butter

12 oz cream cheese, softened

1/2 c sugar

1 c cooked, mashed pumpkin

1 to 1 1/2 t cinnamon (to taste)

1/2 to 3/4 t vanilla (to taste)

1/8 t salt

3 large eggs

3/4 c whipping cream

Combine cookie crumbs, 2 T sugar and melted butter. Press into a square 8 inch cake pan. Bake lightly in a 375° oven.

Beat cream cheese and 1/2 c sugar together at high speed until smooth. Add cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Add eggs all at once. Beat slowly until combined (can be a bit lumpy). Gently mix in cream.

Pour mixture into pan with cookie crumb crust. Bake at 375° for 35 to 45 minutes (until the mixture is set, but not dry). Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for several hours before cutting.


And then because there was a shortage of pumpkin I had to get creative and use sweet potato casserole.

And then because I wanted to use a larger pan, I tweaked things up a bit.

Here's what I did:

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 Tbsp melted unsalted butter

2 - 8 oz low fat cream cheese, softened
1 - 16 oz can sweet potato casserole
1 Tbsp cinnamon (to taste)
1 tsp vanilla (to taste)
pinch of salt
3 extra large eggs
1 cup whipping cream

Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter, and press into a 8 inch by 12 inch pan. Bake lightly (less than 5 minutes) in a 375 degrees oven.

Beat cream cheese and sweet potato casserole at high speed until smooth. Add cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Add eggs all at once and beat slowly until combined. Gently mix in cream.

Pour mixture into pan and back at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes. I checked the center with a toothpick until it was a solid consistency. Cool at room temperature and refrigerate for several hours before cutting.

Best served with whipped cream.



Good little sucker.



And everyone liked them at work too.

Enjoy. Especially during Thanksgiving and the Fall.

No comments: