Tuesday, August 19

A Bridal Tradition

Monday night I went over to my good friend Raji's for her henna bridal party. She is getting married this week and it's a very important tradition in Indian culture for the bride to have elaborate henna tattoos on her arms and feet for the wedding. I was so excited to go and share this special time with her.

Henna is regarded as having blessings, and is applied for luck as well as joy and beauty. Brides typically have the most henna, and the most complex patterns, to support their greatest joy, and wishes for luck.

It was crazy beautiful!

While she had her left arm (palm side up) done, everyone just ate and watch Juno. (None of us had seen it, though an action movie probably would have been better...) Then a couple of us got to get some designs done as well. I went for the tummy area because I though that would be a cool place to have it. (Side note to Kara - was going to get it on my back, but would have been a little difficult to drive home/sit/sleep/etc. like you were talking about...) Yeah! I had to lay on the floor though for awhile so it could dry for a bit.



Everyone got their designs done on different places - and with different designs. We were all very creative!



Then Raji got the right arm done and her feet. So cool...


I had to leave before she was finished, but I think from the pictures, you really can see how amazing the henna artist was.

Good Luck Raji and Nazelle! And happy wedding!

2 comments:

melissa said...

oh my GOD that's so gorgeous. *jealous*

Anonymous said...

that is beautiful!