Thursday, September 18

South Carolina Visit: Day Three

Today was the "day of semi-exploration".

(Which can also be considered as the day we got lost.)

Got up and headed to Brevard, North Carolina to visit my Auntie Pat and Uncle Bill. Every summer they go up there to get away from the Florida heat (they live in Naples), and when I was living in Clemson I'd drive up there to bug them for a little bit. A couple of years my cousins and their kids would go as well and we'd ALL get to bug them. Ha.

Darin hadn't met them yet so... off we went.



The mountains.

Now, I normally am a big fan of mapquest.com. I always us the website to get directions. Just do. For some reason this time I decided to use google maps instead (I think it's because I like the real life pictures).

Bad. Idea.

Also remember that I've driven up there before (though it's been a couple of years). I'm pretty good with remembering places and weird landmarks, it's something I take pride in. Sigh.

We left to go up Highway 11 (so beautiful, people. Amazing.), and then took this 'sidetrack' way about in the middle-of-nowhere NC, and ended up going up a "No Thru Outlet" road.

Hmm. Not a good sign when you are well nowhere.

But with Darin's wise help (he just guessed, really), we found the back West entrance to their subdivision. And my aunt and uncle came and saved us.

The end.

Not really.

Got to their house and explored the pier a little.



The Lake.



Del and Darin.



Del on pier.



Uncle Bill and Auntie Pat.
(How funny is this picture. Love you guys!)

Had a great time visiting. Ate some nummy lunch and watched the hummingbirds dive bomb each other. It's quite entertaining really. Man, were those little guys territorial.

Drove back home (without getting lost, mind you...) and were going to go swimming in the lake, but took a nap instead.

Got up, got hungry, and got food.

Schlotzskys
to be exact. Holy cow. So good. They don't have these in Florida anymore or eastern Carolina either, and neither Darin nor I had had one in forever. We almost went back the next day. Rented Jumper and called it a night.

1 comment:

KaritaG said...

OMG I really miss Schlotzky's! I haven't seen any here, either. As a matter of fact the only place I have ever seen one besides Tulsa is Ponca City! Remember when Bueno's old boyfriend worked there? Good times, good times!